Share these tips with your learners well before exams are on the horizon.
- Organise your study material: ensure that your work is complete and up to date, and that it is in the right order.
- Make a study timetable to ensure that you allow enough time to revise all the work you have covered in each subject.
- Study actively: instead of simply trying to memorise information, use techniques such as making mind maps, writing key words on cards and practicing drawing and labelling diagrams.
- Test yourself: practice answering questions from old test and exam papers. Invest in good study guides, which contain practice exam papers with answers to ensure that you are thoroughly prepared for your final exam.
- Give yourself a break: Don’t study for longer than two hours at a time, and take regular breaks of about 10 to 15 minutes every hour.
Find the right place and time
- Find a quiet place to study, away from noise and other distractions.
- The room should be well lit to avoid eyestrain, and well ventilated so that you breathe in fresh air to keep you alert.
- Sit at a desk rather than lying on the floor or on your bed – these positions are too relaxing and will make you lose concentration. A desk or table is the best surface for writing your study notes and summaries, and answering revision questions.
- Study when you are fresh and alert. Studying at night just before you go to bed is probably not the best time. Rather make time for studying in the afternoons after you have had something to eat and if possible, a rest.
- Get enough sleep – at least 8 hours a night. Your brain cannot work at its best when you are tired.
- Eat well – breakfast is essential, and it is also very important to eat healthy snacks while you are studying to keep your energy levels up.
- Exercise to improve your circulation and reduce tiredness – it will help you to study more effectively.
- Reduce stress by making time for relaxation – listen to music or go for a picnic with some friends.
- Reduce stress on the exam day by making sure that you know when and where your exam is, and ensure you have all the materials you need for the exam the day before.