Oxford University Press Southern Africa is an educational publisher and has published locally for over 100 years. We are committed to the growth of South Africa and its people through the provision of excellent educational materials and support. We recognise the power of education to uplift and equip individuals and communities to better their lives. We, therefore, strive to develop and deliver quality educational materials and support, based on the demands of learners, students, teachers and lecturers in southern Africa.
Knowledge and learning underpin the progress we make, as individuals and as a society. When we know more, we can solve new problems and explore fresh opportunities. Oxford University Press advances knowledge and learning of all kinds, from a child reading their first words to a researcher expanding the frontiers of their field. Our work is constantly evolving, and the possibilities are endless. We strive to help more and more people around the world achieve their potential.
Taking action to operate sustainably
We’re working hard to reduce the environmental impact of our products and operations, with an emphasis on reducing our contribution to climate change, protecting biodiversity, and minimising waste.
We have committed to three short-term targets, to be achieved across our global operations by 2025:
- Carbon neutral from our own operations (office, warehouses, and business travel).
- 100% certified sustainable book paper.
- Zero waste to landfill (in markets with necessary waste management infrastructure).
Globally, we’ve made significant progress towards our targets already:
- 69% reduction in our operational carbon footprint.
- 75% certified sustainable paper being used by our top 27 strategic suppliers.
- 44% reduction from nearly 5,000 tonnes of waste in 2019 to 2,700 tonnes of waste in 2021.
Want to find out more? Read our Responsible Publishing Report 2021-22.
Oxford University Press is a department of the University of Oxford
It is our mission to further the University’s objective of excellence in research, scholarship, and education by publishing worldwide.’